MaBarks

Motherhood, middle-age and marriage. Insights, stories, tips, and musings on the joys and challenges of motherhood and marriage in middle age. Experience and reflections of a career woman with two teenage kids and a loving husband.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Raising Teens in a Recession

Raising teens is challenging enough but if you have kids in their mid or late teens the current recession adds additional challenge. While they are aware of the recession they still grew up mostly in a time of entitlement. While I always tried to instill the value of money and hard work this was a generation that did not grow up with the same values that I did -- and it was a challenge. Now that the economy has been totally turned upside down these kids don't have the luxury of entitlement. In some ways I think it is for the better but it is a pretty severe mindshift that has to happen.

I find that it is easier with my one kid who has always had a bit more of a healthy work ethic to begin with then the other. But communicating the reality of the economy and what it means to them without igniting anxious concern is a delicate balance.

We all want our kids to be happy but the world they are entering after high school and college is not the same. Although when I graduated the state of unemployment was about the same as it is now. So at least I have some practical insight and experience to share with my kids as I try to get them going...to succeed and be happy in the "new" economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home