MaBarks

Motherhood, middle-age and marriage. Insights, stories, tips, and musings on the joys and challenges of motherhood and marriage in middle age. Experience and reflections of a career woman with two teenage kids and a loving husband.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Learn from Me!

Bark of the Day: Don't make the same mistakes I did!

My daughter is in honors English and her teacher told her that she thinks that she should drop to College Prep. She doesn't want to and for all the right reasons. She wants to be challenged.

How many times have you shared your own life experiences with your kids hoping that they will learn from it and not make the same mistakes that you did? My son, who is 18 takes it as wise words of wisdom, my 15 year old daughter would like me to shut up and she pretty much tells me so. But I also know that while she pretends she isn't listening, I know she does when I hear her echo my words and behavior in some way shape or form. She just doesn't want to admit it.

Sometimes there is more value if we let our children learn certain things on their own. But determining what those things are, how much to push, and when to pull back is somewhat of a trial and error and certainly dependent on the kid.

This is when our experience and insight into our children really comes into play. And no matter how well we know our children and how experienced we are -- we will at times make mistakes, just like they will. Most importantly if and when they do we have to make sure that they learn from them too.

Just like we did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home